The meetings of The Edmund Burke Society:
The first meeting for 2018 will be on Friday 23 February at Pure South Dining, River Level, Southgate Building, 3 Southgate Ave, Southbank. Start 7 pm.
Seminar topic: The first meeting for 2018 will consider Burke’s ideas on what it means to be a people or nation in the context of Douglas Murray’s THE STRANGE DEATH OF EUROPE: IMMIGRATION, IDENTITY ISLAM. We will consider the strength of Murray’s evidence and argument. If his evidence and argument are compelling, we will assess the role of Marxist and neo-Marxist thinking in the capitulation of Europe.
We are aiming at four meetings this year, with an option for a fifth, depending on demand. The general theme will be a comparison of Marxism and its offshoots (postmodernism, identity politics, gender theory) with Burke’s philosophy. We will carry on from the last meeting of 2017 where we had a most interesting discussion about Marx’s materialist dialectic.
The meetings for 2018 will be at an excellent venue:
Restaurant Pure South Dining, River Level, Southgate Building, 3 Southgate Ave, Southbank. Start 7 pm.
FORMAT FOR 2018 MEETINGS:
– The meetings will be in seminar format.
– Handouts with discussion points will be handed to each seminar attendee.
– The seminar will proceed between the serving of drinks and food.
References for Marxism:
- Marxism: For and Against, Robert L. Heilbroner
- Marxism Unmasked, Ludwig von Mises
- A Short History of Modern Philosophy, Descartes to Wittgenstein, Chapters 14 & 15, Roger Scruton
For information about the meetings, please use the Contact page or ring 0419 002 163 or email email@example.com. Details are on our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/edmundburkesociety/